Buying Guide for the Best Bathtub Faucet
Your bathtub faucet must meet many specific criteria, particularly if you are in the process of remodeling or upgrading an existing bathroom. Not only does your faucet need to be functional, sturdy, and reliable, but it also needs to be visually appealing in a way that complements the design of your new bathroom. Making that decision can be a tall order, and the process of choosing the Best Bathtub Faucets can be difficult and confusing given the wide variety of options available to both DIYers and home improvement contractors.
For these reasons, we’ve assembled a helpful buyer’s guide with our reviews of the top-recommended bathroom faucets currently available. Check out our reviews and guide below, and get the right faucet to put the finishing touch on your new or refinished bathtub.
Top 5 Bathtub Faucets in 2022
1. American Standard Bath Slip-On Diverter Tub Spout
As one of the oldest manufacturers of bathroom fixtures in the world, American Standard provides their timeless classic look. Chances are if you grew up in the states, your bathtub had a spout nearly identical to the AS 8888.026.002.
This particular model is made of highly durable brass and finished in highly polished chrome. The diverter is compatible with the majority of combination shower and bathtub installations commonly found in most home full-size bathrooms. It fits a ½” water tube and slips on for fast and easy installation. If you are replacing an old, corroded, and mineral-stained tub spout with a forever a classic, this is the tub spout you buy.
- For 1/2" copper water tube
- Metal construction
- Straightforward styling and sound construction.
- Made from high durability brass
- Slips over existing water tube for quick installation
- Chrome finish maintains its appearance for longer than non-chrome-plated brass
- Only suitable for bath/shower combos that already use a diverter tube to activate the shower
- Wall-mounted design means it is not compatible with deck mount or freestanding tubs
- Design is plain despite the polished chrome finish, emphasizing function over form
2. HiendureTM Wall-mount Two Handles
Sometimes when you refinish your bathroom, you want a basic bathtub faucet that’s functional and durable if not necessarily the prettiest thing to look at while having a soak. For those renovators seeking something more aesthetically pleasing to look at during their time in the bath, Hiendure makes this gorgeous, black oil-rubbed bronze finish, wall-mount bathtub faucet with integrated hand shower. This faucet looks like it belongs in a bathtub somewhere in Tuscany or coastal Spain, where the sunlight streams in the old farmhouse windows.
The best part about this tub faucet though is it not only looks beautiful, it is built for longevity and durability. The entire fixture is constructed from solid brass, and the cross handle valves are ceramic to prevent dripping and leaks. It also uses a diverter to direct water to the hand shower with its 5-foot hose. This faucet makes a truly gorgeous addition to any Mediterranean-themed or Old World style bathroom renovation.
- Solid brass construction to ensure long time lifespan
- Durable ceramic valves to avoid dripping
- Two cross handles and one diverter for better water control
- Install hole distance: 5-1/2-Inch to 7-1/2-Inch widespread
- Special personal hand shower with 59-inch hose
- Gorgeous finish and classic Old World/European styling
- Solid brass construction means it will last a lifetime
- Built-in diverter and hand shower with 59-inch hose
- Not a good fit for modern look bathroom designs
- A darker finish can give the room a heavier color tone
- Cannot be diverted to an overhead shower
3. Peerless Claymore 2-Handle Widespread Roman Tub Faucet
Looking to install a beautiful faucet for your deck mount tub? Peerless PTT29896-BN Apex is an ideal choice. The Roman-style brushed nickel finish has a semi-glossy sheen that gives your bathtub a simultaneously classic and modern look. This seamless blending of styles makes it look right at home in a wide variety of bathroom designs and themes, and both the fixtures and finish carries Peerless’ lifetime guarantee.
As far as performance is concerned, this faucet is ideal for filling large tubs quickly thanks to its 18-GPM/68-liter per minute flow rate, and it is an ADA-compliant fixture when properly installed. Best of all, it fits all 3-hole 8-16” pre-drilled tub decks without any need for modification. For deck mount faucet installations, Peerless is definitely the way to go.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Designed to fit 3-hole, 8-16-in. widespread configurations
- WATERSENSE LABELED: Peerless WaterSense labeled Roman tub faucets use at least 20% less water than the industry standard—saving you money without compromising performance
- ADA COMPLIANT: This Roman tub faucet meets standards set by ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Beautiful and durable Roman brushed nickel finish
- High flow rate for filling large tubs quickly
- Fits most pre-drilled deck mounts with no modification
- Only compatible with deck mount style tubs
- Handles do not contain more durable ceramic valves
- Not shower compatible
4. Kingston Brass NuWave French 3 Handle Tub and Shower Faucet
If you want a mercury-free switch that is designed to handle heavy-duty applications, this switch is worth buying. It is equipped with a removable base that makes installation and cleaning hassle-free.
This switch is designed to handle pumps drawing up to 20amps with a maximum voltage of 12 volts DC.
All components of these fixtures are solid brass, and they are chrome plated to resist rust and mineral stains as well as provide them with a lustrous shine. The showerhead is rated for up to 80 psi (plenty of good water pressure), and an energy/clean water-efficient 2.0 GPM/7.6 LPM flow rate. Part of Kingston Brass’ Vilbosch line, this faucet and shower combination kit is the best possible choice for anyone looking to upgrade their existing shower and bath fixtures or who wants only the best in their new modern bathroom.
- Heavy-duty brass construction
- 7.0 GPM/26.5 LPM water flow rate at 80 PSI
- Duraseal washerless cartridge
- 1.8 GPM/6.8 LPM showerhead flow rate at 80 PSI
- Standard 1/2-14 NPT connection
- Wall-mount installation
- Corrosion-resistant finish
- Chrome-plated solid brass design built to last a lifetime
- Three faucet design with central diverter
- Simple yet elegant modern look
- Not suitable for freestanding bathtubs or deck mounted tubs
- Can only be used to replace existing three faucet installations
- Best fits modern styles and designs only
5. Sumerain Roman Tub Faucets with Waterfall Spout
The ultimate in elegance and cutting-edge contemporary design, this bathtub faucet is a true work of art. The gently curving rectangular plate distributes your water in a natural waterfall-like stream as though pouring emptying a never-ending pitcher into your tub. All parts are constructed from solid materials, and this faucet is designed specifically to fill large bathtubs with significant available deck space (making them less than ideal for Roman-style tubs).
Both the levers reflect the elegant design of the waterfall faucet itself and are the perfect finishing touch to a bathroom constructed using contemporary European design.
Be sure to check product documentation carefully for both your tub and this faucet, as there are certain model and design tubs for which this fixture is unsuitable due to its wide water distribution and unique lever design. All that aside, it is a truly gorgeous fixture fit to grace the most elegant of contemporary design bathroom constructions or renovations.
- Roman tub faucets brushed nickel with wide spout features dramatic waterfall effect.
- Solid Brass valve body constructed with metal handles for durability. Contains drip-free MS ceramic cartridge. Tested to be drip-free after 600,000 uses, this waterfall bathtub faucet brushed nickel covered under Sumerain's limited lifetime warranty.
- Deck mount tub faucet mounts directly to the tub fixture. Recommended installation holes distance: 6" to 7".
- Two knob handles make it easy to adjust the water. Installation holes diameter: 1-1/4 inches(32mm).
- This tub filler faucet with a high flow rate of 14.19GPM@60PSI, which will fill up your tub in minutes.
- Unique wide waterfall design
- Rapid flow design for filling larger deck mount tubs quickly
- Easy to install in large deck mount style tubs
- Does not fit Roman-style tubs and deck mount tubs with limited faucet mount space
- It May be difficult to integrate with non-contemporary European designs
Things To Consider Choosing Right Bathtub Faucets
Now that you have a better idea of what’s available, let’s take a look at what to consider when choosing the best design for your bathroom.
Do you need a freestanding, wall mount, deck mount, or combination faucet/shower fixture for the tub in your bathroom? This will help you narrow down what can be installed in your bathroom and complement your theme.
Material and Finish
What finish is going to best suit the look you are trying to create with your bathroom? Here are the most typical options:
Can be ordered in brushed or satin finish. It’s both durable and easy to clean, and nickel titanium finishes tarnish and scratch less easily.
Comes in polished, brushed, or matte, and is durable, economical, and easy to clean. It is highly corrosion resistant, but it does tend to show water marks from minerals in your water.
Excellent choice for neutral color palettes, comes in polished, brushed, or dark oil-rubbed finish with accented bronze highlights. One of the best metals for tarnish, scratching, and corrosion resistance.
An all around good choice, can be polished to a high gloss, satin, or antique finish, and resists both damage and corrosion.
What accessories does your bathtub faucet need to have? Here are a few of the most desirable add ons:
These redirect water from the spout to a shower head. This is standard in three faucet/shower combination designs
Rather than combining with a standard overhead shower, many bathtub faucets can be purchased with a hand shower for washing your hair or rinsing off after a good soak.
Prevents sudden bursts of hot or cold water when another water source in the house draws away hot or cold water.
Pressure Balancing Valves
Keeps pressure steady even when hot or cold water pressure drops suddenly
Keeps your shower water at a pre-programmed temperature for as long as your shower is running.Once you decide on features and finishes, you will be ready to pick the right bathtub faucet that suits your new or renovated bathroom.
Who Needs a Good Bathtub Faucet and Why?
Anyone who plans to renovate their bathroom or install a highly customized or luxury bathroom in a new construction needs to consider what type of faucet they want for their bathtub. Your lifestyle, budget, and family size are all the key determining factors as to what is the best fit for you. The right faucet can make all the difference between a longed-for escape at the end of a long day, or simply a way to get clean.
What Makes a Bathroom Faucet the Best Choice for Your Bathtub?
Among the myriad choices for homeowners and renovators, there are three types of bathtub faucet that you can install for your specific type of bathtub. Not every design works with every tub, but knowing these three basic types will at least make the process easier.
These faucets are designed for use with freestanding tubs that do not have pre-drilled holes for the faucet. The aesthetic effect of these tubs is significantly more striking, and they often act as the centerpiece of a new bathroom. Freestanding faucets are designed to come straight up out of the floor (thus their flashier veneers and finishes on their exposed pipes), and they are generally secured to the side of the tub or a nearby wall for support.
The most common faucet type designed to be installed via pre-drilled holes in your bathroom wall, where it is typically suspended over the tub. This conceals the pipes while leaving the spout and handles remain exposed.
Tub Deck Mount
Typically used on larger bathtubs and whirlpool baths, these faucets are installed via pre-drilled holes on the top rim of the tub (referred to as the deck), or installed into the tile surface surrounding the tub. Pipes remain concealed with the spout and handles exposed for convenient access.Your tub will already be compatible with one of these three options. What makes any choice the best? Let’s look at our product reviews to help you find the best fit.
After reviewing the best products in each mounting style, you probably have a pretty good idea of what to look for in your new or upgraded bathtub faucet. It needs to be something that fits the type of tub you have installed, the finish needs to suit your design aesthetic, and the materials need to be highly durable for the best long term value.
Any one of these five bathtub faucets would be ideal for your bathroom renovation or new construction. Choose the one that Best Bathtub Faucets fits your desired theme and budget, and make your bathroom that perfect retreat from the world.