Buying Guide for the Best Submersible Pump
Whether you’re running a fountain, an aquarium, or hydroponics, you need a high-quality water pump to keep everything flowing. Without this crucial piece of hardware, you won’t be able to enjoy each of these setups as much as you should. However, when it comes to pumps for these applications, the best kind is a submersible pump.
Today we’re going to take a look at the best submersible pumps, as well as go over some of the most critical aspects to pay attention to when buying them. These machines will make your life a lot easier, and they will ensure that you can enjoy your fountain or aquarium for a long time. Let’s see what they have to offer.
What is the Best Submersible Pump?
When it comes to any type of water pump, the action is simple - you’re moving water from one place to another, either with suction or a motor pushing the water through the system. A submersible pump operates the same way; however, it can be submerged in the water it’s moving.
The primary benefit of a submersible pump is that you have much more flexibility in where you can place it. Also, it can be a lot smaller and more accessible because you don’t need a massive motor. Since it’s in the water it’s moving, it works with much more efficiency than a dry pump.
Submersible pumps come in a variety of sizes to work in different conditions. Smaller units are perfect for aquariums and ponds, while larger ones can either work as a sump pump for a septic tank or to remove standing water from a particular location (i.e., after a flood).
Top 6 Best Submersible Pumps in 2021
1. Superior Pump 1/4 HP Thermoplastic Utility Pump
When picking out a submersible pump, the first thing to do is determine what you’ll be using it. In this case, we have a highly robust model from Superior Pump, which can be utilized for many different applications. It’s strong enough to remove water from a flood, drain a pool, or operate as a sump pump. No matter what your needs are, this unit is sure to meet them. The first thing we like about this pump is that it’s well built.
It comes with a corrosion-proof thermoplastic housing so that the motor doesn’t wear down after multiple uses. Speaking of the motor, it’s a split-capacitor unit and thermally protected so that it won’t burn out, even while running for hours on end. When it comes to moving water, this pump can do it better than most. It has a flow rate of 30 gallons per minute, so whether you’re pumping a flooded basement or a swimming pool, you can get the job done a lot faster than you may expect. It also has a vertical lift of 25 feet, so don’t worry about putting it too low from where you’re dumping the water. As far as reliability is concerned, you can connect a garden hose to the pump so that you don’t have to buy a separate tube for draining, and it has clog-resistant intakes so that you won’t have to worry about the motor getting bogged down with debris. Overall, this is an incredibly versatile submersible pump.
- 1/4 HP Utility pump moves up to 1,800 gallons per hour; pump will lift water up to 25' of vertical height
- Tough thermoplastic construction; 10' cord length
- 1-1/4 inch NPT discharge for high capacity pumping; includes 3/4 inch garden hose adapter
- Removable suction screen and handles up to 1/8 inch solids
- Superior Pumps are Built to Last, engineered with quality components and are 100% factory tested
- Powerful ¼ HP motor
- Other motor sizes available
- Continuous operation
- Durable plastic housing
- Thermally protected for longevity
- Split capacitor motor
- 25-foot vertical lift
- Large discharge port for faster pumping
- Garden hose adapter for convenience
- Optional float switch allows sump pumping
- 30 GPM flow rate
- Versatile operation fits almost anywhere
- Clog-resistant suction
- 10-foot waterproof power cord
- Draws water down to ⅛ inches
- Corrosion-proof materials
- One-year limited warranty
- Too strong for smaller applications
- In rare cases, the motor may stop unexpectedly
2. CWKJ Durable 25W Outdoor Fountain Water Pump with 6.5ft Power Cord
Although having a high-powered submersible pump is great for some applications, it can be too much if all you’re trying to do is power a fountain or aerate your aquarium water. In those situations, you will want something a lot smaller, like this model from Homasy. This unit is perfectly suited for any tank application you may have, whether it’s powering a fountain or keeping your fish happy.
One notable feature of this pump is that it comes with a water flow adjustment knob. This way you can get just the right amount of flow for whatever you’re doing. That being said, the maximum flow rate is 400 gallons per hour, making it a viable option for some high-efficiency operations as well. The motor on this unit is small but effective. It can have a vertical lift of about seven feet, and it’s made of stainless steel components so that it won’t corrode or break down too quickly. It’s also energy-efficient so that you don’t have to run a hefty utility bill because you have the pump running for too long.
- ★【PROVIDE YOU COMFORT & QUIET ENVIROMENT】Our fountain pump’s ultra-quiet operation will let you feel that the sounds of the water pouring out of your fountain is such a relaxing and tranquil sound, and you will love sitting out on your patio watching the squirrels and birds bath and now the peaceful sounds of our fountain make it even more enjoyable.
- ★【MULTI-OCCASIONS】The fountain pump can make circulation to your tank and give your lovely fish a near-natural environment. This submersible water pump can create water current, ideal for a medium-sized aquarium, small pond, water garden, and desktop water fountains. Perfect for backyard fountain/waterfall, aquarium, ponds, fish tank, tabletop fountains, garden statuary, patio drip irrigation system and hydroponic systems and more.
- ★【ADJUSTABLE】The fountain pump is designed with an adjusting knob, allowing to get just the amount of water pressure you want. It comes with 3 optional nozzles to create different views, each with its own unique design.
- ★【COMPACT BUT POWERFUL】The fountain pump’s compact design is easy to hide & disguise, 25W super efficiency motor continually lift water column. Reasonable long power cord is heavy duty and easy to installation. The pump has 4 strong rubber suction cups at the bottom of the fountain pump helps keep in your fish tank.
- ★【EASY TO USE】The fountain pump's manual disassembly designed shell allow you clean the pump input port and filter/impeller easily. And simply plug in power for quick water draining.
- Powerful 25-watt motor
- Flow rate of 400 gallons per hour
- Flow adjustment knob for convenience
- Vertical lift of 6.56ft/2m
- Components won’t corrode
- Suction cups to attach to almost any surface
- 6.5 foot power cord for convenience
- 3 nozzles included
- One-year limited warranty
- Flow rate may not be as strong as it should be
- May have trouble pushing water vertically in some cases
3. Simple Deluxe Submersible Pump with 15' Cord
When it comes to running a pond fountain or an aquarium, you want a submersible pump that is up to the challenge. This model from Simple Deluxe is one of the most high-powered units designed for smaller applications such as these, meaning that you get better reliability and performance than you would with other pumps. The motor on this model is incredible, as it uses non-corrosive materials like thermoplastic and aluminum oxide ceramics. It will hold up day after day without breaking down or shutting off. You can use it continuously, and the motor will keep on chugging.
Because it’s designed for environments that may not have pure water, it comes with a filter inside to help keep debris from clogging the internal mechanisms. Also, it has several threaded hose fittings so that you can find the right one more easily. Overall, if you need a powerful yet compact submersible pump, this is an excellent choice.
- #1 has pre-filter included - Pre-filter on the intake prevents debris from entering your pump and extend the life of your pump, max flow rate: 1056 GPH, max lift height 12 feet
- Durable quality - Our polished aluminum oxide ceramic impeller shaft insures long pump life because it is non-corrodible and more than 3 times as hard as stainless steel. Epoxy resin encasement of key internal motor components prevents unwanted conductivity and corrosion of metal parts
- Safe & easy - Safe for fish with no exposed copper. Easy to clean with no tools required to disassemble and clean filter/impeller. Our electric cord is waterproof, 18# gauge copper wire, molded plug with ground, heavy duty flexible vinyl jacket, resists oil/grease/moisture, abrasion resistant and very good flexibility at all temperatures
- 3 size threaded nozzles. 83 inch, 1.06 inch, 1.34 inch) – Please note inline and outlet nozzles has different thread size. The thicker ones are for Inline use and the thinner ones are for outlet
- Versatile - Circulate and aerate the water, making it more attractive to your fish or turtles. This submersible pump is perfect for aquarium, fountains, spout and hydroponic systems
- Rugged plastic housing
- Max flow rate of 1056 GPH
- Filter system prevents clogs
- Aluminum oxide ceramic impeller
- Corrosion-proof materials
- Multiple nozzles to fit wherever you need it
- Cleaning is a breeze - no need to take it apart
- Waterproof power cord
- Threaded fittings won’t break easily
- 12-foot vertical height
- Adjustable flow rate for convenience
- In some cases, you may have to clean it frequently
- May have a hard time finding an appropriate hose
4. KEDSUM Ultra Quiet Water Pump with 11.3ft High Lift
When it comes to smaller submersible pumps, Kedsum is one of the better brands out there. In this case, we’re looking at a high-powered offering that can push a lot of water through in a short period. With a flow rate of 880 gallons per hour, this pump can work well in tiny aquariums or outdoor ponds with ease. It also has an adjustable flow knob so that you don’t move more water than is necessary.
One aspect of Kedsum Pumps is that they are quiet. Some models can be quite loud, meaning that they may be more of a nuisance, particularly if you have it running all day. With this unit, you don’t have to worry about that at all.
Another thing we like about Kedsum is that it works in both fresh and saltwater conditions. Thus, if you have a pond or an aquarium with saltwater, you don’t have to worry about it destroying the internal components or the motor.
- 🐳Powerful Speed Flow: The rotor is made of hard polyacetal material, which pumps water faster and more. Max Flow Rate: 880 GPH per hour(3500L/H), Max Lift Height: up to 11.3 Feet.(Length of power cord:5.9ft)
- 🐳Ultra Quiet: This pump adopts a ceramic shaft, which is more wear-resistant, high temperature resistant and quieter than steel shaft. And it is equipped with one more steel shaft as a replacement shaft, which has a long service life, energy-saving and low power consumption. (Power: 100W, Voltage: 110V)
- 🐳Perfect size: This profile size water pump is great to hide or disguise (Dimensions: 5.1"(H)*5.1"(L)*3.9"(W)). It is made of epoxy resin, no seals or messy oil, the suction cups mounting feet for either vertical or horizontal mounting.
- 🐳3 Outlet Adapters: Equipped with 3 Outlet Adapters, one is 0.51inch，one is 0.63inch, and the other is 0.75inch, providing a different water flow as you desired.This submersible pump is ideal for fresh-water, salt-water, can be applied in aquariums, fountains, spouts, hydroponic and ponds.
- 🐳Detachable and Cleanable: The water pump is easy to detach to clean. [NOTE: This water pump is metric threads. Pump metric threaded fit for vinyl tubing, need a 13mm metric to 0.5" NPT Adapter to fit for standard 1/2" threaded PVC fitting.]
- Powerful 100-watt motor
- Max flow rate of 880 gallons per hour
- Other speeds available
- Max lift of 13 feet
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Suction cups are perfect for aquariums
- Three hose adapters for various applications
- Works with salt or fresh water
- Easy to clean system
- Low power consumption
- Must be fully submerged to work
- In rare cases, the unit may emit small static charges
5. WAYNE WWB WaterBUG 1/6 HP 1350 GPH Submersible Pump
Next, we have another high-powered submersible pump that will work for larger applications, such as draining a pool. This model is great for many high-performance needs, making it a versatile and reliable choice for most people. It has a high horsepower motor, and it’s made of corrosion-resistant materials, ensuring that it’s built to last.
The flow rate of this pump is 1350 gallons per hour, which is perfect for draining a flooded basement or moving water from an outdoor pool. The motor is lubricated with oil, however, so make sure that you don’t need clean, uncontaminated water when pumping.
Overall, this is a decent pump that’s small enough to fit almost anywhere. It can make short work of any water that you have, and it will stay in excellent condition for a long time.
- 1350 gallons per hour
- Top discharge is perfect for tight spaces and side discharge is ideal for easy water removal from flat open surfaces
- Brass discharge outlets that fit any standard garden hose
- Rugged thermoplastic housing
- Powerful horsepower motor
- Garden hose adapter for convenience
- Plug and play operation
- Max flow rate of 1350 GPH
- Lightweight and very safe model
- No automatic shutoff
- In rare cases, the motor may burn out if not hooked up properly
6. KEDSUM 550GPH Submersible Water Pump (2500L/H,40W)
We’ve already seen how good Kedsum Pumps are, but if you’re in the market for a smaller version, then this is the one for you. The quality and reliability are the same, but this unit is ideal for things like hydroponics or aquariums, not outdoor ponds and fountains. One aspect of Kedsum Pumps we didn’t discuss is that they are energy efficient. Thus, keeping this unit on all day and night won’t add too much to your electric bill, helping you justify installing it in the first place.
With this pump, you get up to 550 gallons per hour of water flow, and it has two hose adapters so that you can work with a broader selection of intake and output hoses. It also comes with suction cup feet so that you can place it almost anywhere.
- 【Specifications】Max Flow Rate: 550 GPH(2500L/H), Max Lift height: up to 5 Feet. The 6.5ft long power cord offers convenient installation.
- 【Ultra Quiet】This Submersible water pump is designed for reliability and ultra-quiet operation to provide years of service，energy-saving and low power consumption.(Power: 40 W,Voltage: 110V)
- 【Perfect size】This profile size aquarium pump is great to hide or disguise (Dimensions:3.75"(H)*4.7"(L)*2.75"(W)). Come with 4 strong suction cups at the bottom of the pump, easy to mount it onto the glass surface either vertically or horizontally.
- 【3 Outlet Adapters】Equipped with 3 Outlet Adapters ,one is 0.51inch, one is 0.75inch,and the other one is 0.87inch, providing different water flow effects. This submersible pump is ideal for fresh-water, salt-water, can be applied in aquarium, fountains, spout, hydroponic and pond.
- 【Detachable and Cleanable】No need any tools to detach it, easy to seperate, easy to clean. Any questions of your 550GPH aquarium water pump, please come back to us and we will be responsible for the pumps we produce.
- Robust 40-watt motor
- Max flow rate of 550 GPH
- Multiple sizes available
- Vertical lift of five feet
- Two discharge adapters for convenience
- Suction feet for aquariums
- Works in fresh or saltwater conditions
- Easy to clean design
- Ultra-quiet operation
- Low power consumption
- Not as powerful as other models
- Vertical lift may be challenging at times
How to Choose the Best Submersible Pump
Because your goal with a pump is to move water through the system, you want something powerful enough to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Thus, you want to pay attention to the flow rate to ensure that you’re on the right track. When looking at pumps, the flow rate can either be listed as gallons per minute (GPM) or gallons per hour (GPH). The former is usually shown for high-powered pumps that can drain pools or flooded areas, while the latter is great for smaller applications, like hydroponics or aquariums. Another thing to look out for is an adjustable flow rate. Many times the pump will only be able to operate at one speed, which can be too fast for some situations. Having an adjustable system will enable you to get just enough power without going overboard.
Because we’re looking at submersible pumps, that means that you will likely be putting them in the areas that need pumping. As such, you want to pay attention to the size of the unit itself, as well as the dimensions of the intake and discharge valves. In some cases, you may need to feed a hose into the water, while other times you want to avoid clogging the motor with debris. Smaller intakes won’t get clogged, but they may not flow as quickly as larger ones.
In most cases, you won’t be able to discharge water at the same level from which you’re pumping. Unless you’re operating a pond or an aquarium where the water is staying in one place, lift will become an issue. The vertical lift dictates how far the water will travel upwards - it’s a direct reflection on the power of the motor. The more lift you have, the stronger the pump. Usually, smaller units will have about 6-10 feet of lift, while more massive ones can go up to 30 feet. Think about the area in which you will deploy the pump before getting one with more lift.
Who Needs the Best Submersible Pump?
We’ve been talking about various uses for these devices already, but here are a few different situations where a submersible pump can come in handy.
- Flooded rooms/basements
- Septic tank
If any of these applications sound good to you, then you will want to buy a corresponding submersible pump to ensure that you can make the most of your water usage. Although it can be tempting to get a unit that’s more powerful than what you need, consider the fact that it may move too much water at once, as well as drive up your energy costs.
Because we’re looking at the best submersible Pump designed for different purposes, we want to provide you with our top pick for both small and large applications. For aquariums, ponds, and fountains, we highly recommend either Kedsum Pump, as they are extra reliable and easy to use. They deploy in minutes and won’t break down quickly. For pools, flooded areas, or septic tanks, you can’t go wrong with the Superior Pump. It has an incredible motor, and it’s built to last, even with continuous operation. No matter how much water you have to move, this is the pump that’s going to get the job done.
Check out: Best Battery Backup Sump Pump