The 5 Best Submersible Well Pump Reviews – For 2023
Buying Guide for the Best Submersible Well Pump
As someone who owns a well, you understand the importance of having a reliable and efficient submersible well pump that won't let your family or employees down.
This type of submersible pump is something you rely on year-round, so you need to make sure that the pump you purchase is durable and can handle all of your unique needs.
Our reviews below will help you narrow down the best Submersible Well Pump for your unique needs.
What is a Submersible Well Pump
A submersible well pump is a type of pump that is specifically engineered to run in a water well. It is typically installed in the well casing and is connected to a power source on the surface.
Importance of Investing in a Reliable Submersible Well Pump
Investing in a reliable submersible well pump is very important because it ensures that you have a steady supply of water for your home and business.
Durable submersible well pumps are usually made of stainless steel or cast iron, which makes them resistant to corrosion and rust.
A reliable pump will also save you money in the long run because it requires less maintenance and will last much longer than a cheap submersible pump.
Below are reviews of our top-rated submersible well pumps.
Top 5 Best Submersible Well Pumps in 2023
1. Red Lion Premium Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump
I was super impressed with the Red Lion submersible water well pump. We evaluated this model on a farm using the 1HP model, and you can really tell it was built to be strong and durable. The pump is made of rugged cast iron, which really stood out.
This model was engineered for homes with a lot of water demands. For instance, if you have a large family, multi-story house, farm, or cottage.
Because of Red Lion's reliable and durable design, it guarantees the pump will last a lot of years without needing service or replacement.
As to its voltage, this pump features a heavy-duty double-voltage motor. 230/115 contains the capacitor which helps boost the power for starting.
The pump's pressure switch is set by the factory at 30/50 psi, plus the submersible pump produces an optimum of 50 psi with the automatic shut off.
The Red Lion Premium Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump is ideal for wells that are as deep as 25 feet.
Red Lion's design has three power options, based on your unique requirements: 3/4HP, 1/2HP, and 1HP.
Something else that is really impressive and unique is the glass-filled thermoplastic impeller and diffuser for superior performance and efficient water flow.
This truly is a high-end, high-performance product that you can trust. It will be the last thing on your mind.
- 1HP, 220V 60HZ
- 30 Gpm, Stainless Steel
- 4" or bigger well
- Rugged cast iron casing
- Heavy-duty dual-voltage (115/230 Volt)
- Motor with a capacitor for increasing starting power
- Includes factory pre-set 30/50 pressure switch that produces up to 50 psi with automatic shutoff
- Glass-filled thermoplastic impeller and diffuser for superior performance and efficient water flow
- Factory pre-set for 230 Volts but can be easily changed to 115 Volt
- Pressure gauge included
- Farm with Shallow Well
- Large Household with Well Water
- Cottage with Well
- Thermoplastic impeller and diffuser to improve performance
- Coated with iron to guarantee many years of service
- Strong and durable
- Has a voltage selector
- Costs more than a cheaply made pump
2. Hallmark Industries 1HP Stainless Steel Deep Well Submersible Pump
From my experience, Hallmark Industries make some of the best deep well submersible pumps on the market.
Hallmark Industries makes a number of different models ranging from 1/2HP, 115V to 3HP, 230V. In this review, we looked at the 1HP motor model which pumps about 33 water gallons each minute.
This model is perfect for several types of wells, including deep wells on the farm. I love how easy it is to handle this pump and how simple it was to install.
This Hallmark submersible pump is made of stainless steel and has a diameter of 4 inches.
We rate this model high due to its smooth operation, and high resistance to rust and corrosion
Plus it does not require much routine maintenance.
- 3.8" deep well submersible pump
- Fits in 4" or bigger well casing
- Built-in starter box (Doesn't require external control box.)
- 2 wire pump with 3-wires (2 wires + ground wire)
- High-quality UL approved motor for long life
- Built-in 1 HP capacitor start, and thermal protection switch
- This pump has a built-in check valve
- 1-1/4” NPT discharge (can go with any pipe size)
- High efficiency, hermetically sealed motor is thermally protected to prevent overheating and uses less energy
- Deep Well on Farm
- Country Home with Deep Well
- American company
- The motor is smooth and powerful
- Durable and strong
- Features the industrial level metal construction
- Has an amazing pumping action
- Highly resistant to rust and corrosion since it is made of stainless steel
- So many models, choose carefully
3. Goplus 1.6HP Shallow Well Pump & Tank Garden Water Pump
When reviewing these shallow well pumps, Goplus made a big impression. This pump is very durable, reliable, fast and rated at 1000 water gallons per hour.
I love the powerful power supply and thermal overload protection. In tests, the pump automatically stopped when overloaded. This is a huge safety feature that prevents combustion and prolongs the service life of the well pump.
I can't stress how efficient and durable this pump is. It can be used for agriculture and commercial needs. This pump is made of rugged cast iron, making it durable, solid, and corrosion-resistant. It also features a ceramic closed motor shaft that guarantees the water stays clean.
Another feature that really stands out is the additional bottom retainer for support. This makes a big difference and helps avoid unnecessary shaking or tip over.
The slide valve with this pump makes it easy to operate, and the built-in pressure gauge facilitates you to observe the situation in the tank in real time.
- 1000 water gallons per hour
- Magnet separation capacitor motor
- 1200W high-efficiency working power
- Ceramic closed motor shafts
- Corrosion and rust resistant
- Made of rugged cast iron
- Additional bottom retainer for support
- Slide valve for simple & safe operation
- Clean and sanitary
- Pumping fresh well water to homes, farms, and cabins
- Boost low water pressure from well
- Water lawns and gardens
- Many extra features
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Very safe and easy to use
- No reversal switch
4. Wayne Convertible Well Jet Pump
We like this pump made by Wayne because we trust the brand based on experience and other reviews. A reputable brand is important for something as crucial as a submersible well pump.
You can't go wrong with this model's high-efficiency square flange motor which is factory set for 240V.
This submersible well pump is durable thanks to its cast iron volute with a dedicated priming port.
We found that this pump is easy to install thanks to the included instruction manual.
- 3/4 hp; max. Flow rate is 462 gallons per hour; (50 psi)
- 3/4 in. Npt discharge with 1-1/4 in. Npt suction and 1 in. Drive
- Dual voltage (120V/240V) Switchable based on your needs
- Pressure switch *pre-set at 30-50 PSI) for automatic operation
- Durable cast iron volute
- Dedicated priming port for volute filling
- Assembled in the US with foreign and domestic parts
- Pump well water to home or business
- Water lawn and garden
- Push water anywhere
- Pressure switch for automatic operation
- Cast-iron volute for durability
- Dedicated priming port
- Very durable
5. Aquastrong 1.6HP Shallow Well Pump with Pressure Tank
The Aquastong 1.6HP Shallow Well Pump is a number one seller online. Why? It has a lot to do with power, reliability, durability, and the included 5-gallon pressure tank.
This pump is safety focused with thermal protection to prevent overheating catastrophes. It also features a waterproof on/off switch.
This pump will also ensure that you enjoy a good freshwater supply at all times. It features the HP motor which can continuously work without ever becoming very hot making it ideal for most of the standard wells.
What truly makes this pump special is the included water tank, which makes the pump extra durable, saving you money, time, and headaches.
I really enjoyed reviewing this pump and putting it thru the test of time. It comes with plenty of adapters and has everything you need to install included.
- 1.6HP Efficient capacitor motor
- 1" NPT outlet and inlet
- Strong suction up to 26ft with max. flow 1320GPH or max. head 164ft
- Includes 3/4" garden hose adapters & PTFE tape
- Stainless steel pump housing
- Pressure switch for automatic operation
- Temperature sensing with automatic overload stop
- Compact 5-gallon pressure tank
- Pressure gauge directly on the tank
- Waterproof on/off switch
- Durable carbon ceramic mechanical seal
- Garden irrigation
- Domestic water supply to pump houses
- Residential use in homes, cabins or farms
- Lawn sprinkler system
- Strong suction
- Pressure tank
- Resistant to rust and corrosion
- Easy to install with included instructions
Who Needs a Submersible Well Pump?
A submersible well pump is for anyone with a deep well who is looking for an efficient approach to draw water from the well to their home or business.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Submersible Well Pump
1. Gallons per Minute (GPM)
This is the measure of the amount of water flowing within a minute. Some pumps come with a flow rate of as low as 3GPM while others have one with as high as 25 GPM. The flow rate of the pump you choose will be determined by your water requirements. If you have high water consumption rate, say in the commercial sector, then you need a pump with a high flow rate.
If you have low water consumption, go for a one with low GPM. One thing you need to know is that the higher the GPM, the higher the power consumption which means, the more you will pay for your energy bills. That is why you need to choose a pump with a GPM enough to suit your needs sufficiently without any surplus or wastage.
2. Size of the Pump
The main factor that will determine the size of the submersible pump you will buy is the diameter of your well. You don’t want to buy a pump that will not fit into your well. Besides, you need to leave some space for operation once you put it into the well. You should therefore know the diameter of your well before purchasing to avoid buying something that won’t be useful or one that will result to the damage of your well or pump when forcing it down the well.
3. Casing Construction
Since the pump will be submerged in water, you need to ensure it would rust fast. A casing made of stainless steel is the best choice because it is resistant to corrosion. Submersible pumps built using iron or cheap plastic materials are not the best option because they might rust very fast. You don’t want to buy something that would require replacement soon. That will not be cost-effective.
What is the horsepower of the pump that you have chosen? Make sure it is sufficient for your water consumption needs. If you need water for domestic use, a power of 0.5 to 1.0 is enough to keep you well supplied with water. For commercial purposes, you will need to choose one with higher horsepower.
Remember the higher the horsepower, the more power the pump will consume. This means you have to pay more for energy bills. To make the pump costeffective, ensure you buy one with enough horsepower to supply you with enough water according to your needs without any wastage.
How much are you willing to spend in buying a submersible well pump? Check the properties and functionalities of the pump you have chosen and compare that with its selling price. Don’t be cheated that the higher the cost, the better the quality. That is not guaranteed. However, going for the cheapest option is not a wise decision. Take caution and check the features of the pump if you want to get the best deal out of what you are paying.
How Does a Submersible Well Pump Work?
A submersible well pump works by using a series of impellers to move water from the well to the surface. The impellers are powered by an electric motor, which is connected to a power source on the surface.
When water enters the pump, it is forced through the impellers, which increase the pressure and force the water up the pipe to the surface.
Maintenance and Care for Submersible Well Pumps
Maintaining a submersible well pump is crucial to ensure it continues to operate efficiently. Some maintenance tasks include:
- Checking the pressure switch: The pressure switch should be checked regularly to ensure that the pump is turning on and off at the correct pressure.
- Cleaning the pump: The pump should be cleaned regularly to remove any debris or sediment that may have accumulated.
- Checking the wiring: The wiring should be checked regularly to ensure that there are no loose or damaged wires.
- Lubricating the pump: The pump should be lubricated regularly to ensure that it operates smoothly and efficiently.
Common Problems with Submersible Well Pumps and How to Troubleshoot Them
There are several common problems that can occur with submersible well pumps, including:
- Low water pressure: This can be caused by a clogged filter or a damaged impeller.
- No water: This can be caused by a faulty pressure switch or a damaged impeller.
- Short cycling: This can be caused by a faulty pressure switch or a damaged impeller.
- Noisy operation: This can be caused by a damaged impeller or a clogged filter.
Investing in a reliable submersible well pump is key to ensuring that your home or business has a steady supply of water.
The submersible well pumps reviewed by Top Pick Guy are efficient, durable, and quiet, making them an excellent choice for anyone who needs a well pump.
By considering factors such as water usage, well depth, and power source, you can choose the right submersible well pump for your needs.